Life After High School: Deciding If You're College Material

The following article isn't meant to be offensive, but it is a great quick inventory for anyone with niggling doubts about if a traditional 4 year college education is the right path in their life after high school. As Mr. Goldblatt points out, success in college doesn't require knowing a bunch of facts, or even the skills to find them, but an intellectual curiosity to learn.

The American Spectator: Who is College Material?

I can be honest and say college was easy for me. School has ALWAYS been easy for me, but don't ask me to kick a soccer ball, please. I had semesters of 2.08 GPAs and other semesters where I was on Dean's List. One semester wasn't harder than another. The semesters where I had poor grades I did not care about the subject matter. It wasn't challenging. It wasn't interesting. I only showed up on test days. In my defense, most classes took 10% off just from missing more than 2 class periods, so averaging an 80-85 as a final grade without even going, well let's just say I had more than one professor tell me there they've never seen a student pass while missing more than half the class periods.

Before stressing out on your SATs, or struggling to live up to Mom and Dad's expectations, ask yourself, "Do you like to learn?"

The next important question: "What do you like to learn?"

It is more than okay to enjoy learning things other than general liberal arts education subjects. Many people are successful learning technical skills (mechanical technicians, hair stylists, contractors, etc.), other people are successful honing and enhancing their natural abilities with just a few strategic classes. For example, people primarily in sales, may not need to a full degree to move up and be successful. However, many successful salesmen and women complete advanced training in negotiation, closing a sale, and improving listening skills to meet a consumer's needs.

Realize though that there is no getting away from improving your education. It may not be a 4 year college, but every profession requires some type of additional training. High school alone doesn't carry you to retirement.

Training can occur on the job, at conferences, in specialized courses at local universities and colleges, and even through professional clubs and organizations. Remember, for most resumes, a 4 year Bachelor's degree is just one little line under "Education." The rest is made up of real life experiences, other education opportunities, and accolades.